(CNN)A man in Massachusetts has been infected with a mosquito-borne virus called Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE), health officials confirmed Saturday. It’s the first human case reported in the state since 2013.
EEE causes inflammation of the brain, which is often preceded by a high fever, chills and vomiting. As the illness progresses, patients might experience seizures or a coma that can cause varying degrees of brain damage, the CDC said.
Just because a state has detected EEE in mosquitoes or chickens doesn’t mean the pests will transmit it to people. The virus is named for its prevalence in horses, after all.
Still, it’s best to err on the side of caution. The CDC recommends residents of impacted areas go heavy on the repellant, avoid the outdoors after dark, and wear long sleeves and pants if they do venture outside.
Get on top of rankings and traffic with Livecaster3 Pro Version. It comes with several compelling capabilities and has absolutely no caps. Livecast on unlimited pages, profiles and YouTube channels
This upgrade lets you Livecast multiple videos simultane